Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Old Battle Report

Here's my deck:

1 Burrentton Forge-Tender
4 Figures of Destiny (Love this guy! Especially on turn 1!)
3 Kitchin Finks
4 Mogg Fanatics
2 Murderous Redcaps (Two is the perfect number of these guys.)
3 Rangers of Eos (Guarantees a Figure each game.)
3 Revillarks
3 Siege-Gang Commanders (One of my new favorite cards!)

4 Ajani Vengeants
3 Mind Stones (Rarely playing with 4 has ever really helped me.)
3 Spectral Processions (It's casting cost is too damanding to play with 4, even though it's a great card.)
3 Oblivion Rings

4 Battlefield Forges
2 Forbidding Watchtower
2 Mountains
5 Plains
3 Reflecting Pools
2 Rugged Praires (need 2 more)
1 Vivid Crag
1 Vivid Meadow
4 Windbrisk Heights

My deck has a bunch of "3 of's" but it's okay. It worked out well for me. I don't want to drop the Redcaps because they do 7 damage for me with a Siege-Gang. The Mogg Fanatics are great 1-drops because they disrupts my opponents Birds, Llanowar Elves, Bloom Tenders, Figures, Cavaliers, etc. Plus, my Ranger of Eos can fetch them or my Reveillark can return them.

Sideboard:
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Stillmoon Cavalier
3 Wispmare
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Oblivion Ring
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Wrath of God

Match 1 vs. Steven's BRG Tokens Deck (Sprouting Thrinax, Natuko Husk, Marsh Flitter, etc)

Game 1: He got mana screwed with only 4 lands. I got lucky with a turn one Figure. He played only one creature and a Firespout.

Game 2: I got another turn 1 Figure out and as it grew and grew, he was never able to regain any tempo against it. He was able to play a bunch of creatures but I had a Burrenton Forge-Tender. I also O-Ringed his Natuko Husk, leaving him with a bunch of 1/1 tokens that I would shoot with my Siege-Gang Commander.

1-0

Match 2 vs. Jim's WW Deck (Light from Within, Wilt-Leaf Liege, Knight of the White Orchid, Knight of Meadowgrain, Balefire Liege, etc.)

Game 1: An epic battle where his life totals reached 36 because of a Balefire Liege. Again I was able to pick off his threats with my Mogg Fanatics, Redcaps, and Siege-Gangs. Eventually I was able to win the game because I had two Reveillarks and an 8/8 Figure in play.

Game 2: I got lucky here because I was able to drop both of my Stillmoon Cavaliers. There was nothing he could do because I would hit him for two or three a turn, leaving another Stillmoon left to block.

2-0

Match 3 vs. Cory's Bant Control Deck (Cryptic Command, Wrath of God, Rhox War Monk, Garruk, etc.)

Game 1: I didn't get a turn 1 Figure so I wasn't able to really do some early damage. When playing against control, it's so important to have that turn 1 Figure because it can do up to 8-10 damage by the time they have their 4th land. He swept the baord with a Wrath and countered everything else I played. Eventually he beat me in with a Mulldrifter and a Rhox War Monk.

Game 2: I got my turn 1 Figure but by the time he got to his 4th land I had only done 10 damage. He then bounced my Figure with a Cryptic Command. Eventually he was able to blow up his Garruk and kill me. It was my fault because I totally forgot about Garruk. This match also made me realize that I need to put some Guttural Response and/or Vexxing Shushers in my sideboard. Oh well, you learn and move on.

2-1 (This guy eventually went on to win 2nd place.)

Game 4 vs. Phi's (pronounced Fee) WRG Planeswalker "Lord of the Rings" Control Deck (Chandra Nalaar, Elspeth, Ajani Vengeant, Wrath of God, Firespout, etc.)

Game 1: I had a turn 1 Figure that pretty much won me the game. I knew that his deck would take at least 3 or 4 turns before it got going so by the time he dropped an Ajani V. I had already done 10 damage. He dropped Planeswalker after Planeswalker but I was lucky because I had 2 Siege-Gangs that did a total of 16 damage to clear a path for my Figure.

Game 2: I had a turn one Figure again and started to pound him in with it. He dropped to 9 life when he played the most amazing play! Here's what happend! I went from 20 life to 5 and he went from 9 life to 26! ALL IN ONE TURN! Nopes, I didn't get Cruel Ultimatumed 3 times. He had a Ring of Brighthearth and a bunch of mana. He dropped an Ajani V. and played its 2nd ability, the Lightning Helix ability, and then with the Rings of Bright and all that extra mana, he copied it 4 more times!!! IN ONE TURN I GOT HIT WITH 5 LIGHTNING HELIXES!!! I will never forget it! The next turn he used Ajani's first ability and then copied it 4 more times, making my Figure and 4 lands untappable. He continually did this to me until I got ran over by a couple of 3/3 Beast token from Garruk. That was a good game. Everyone was surrounding our table and they couldn't believe what they just saw. This is a game that I will never forget.

Game 3: No turn 1 Figure but it's okay because he mulled down to 5 cards. He continaully swept the board with his 4 Wraths and 4 Firespouts. He also had 4 Naya Charms which would tap out my guys. Eventually time was called and we were on the last turn of the game. The final and 5th turn belonged to me. He had 8 life left, a bunch of mana, and a Treetop Village. I had 3 1/1 Spirit Tokens, a Murderous Redcap, a 1/1 Solder token. I "Alpha Striked," he blocked the Redcap with his Treetop Village. My Redcap persisted back into play to bring him down to 7. He took an additional 4 from my 1/1 tokens, bringing him down to 3. I then played an Ajani Vengeant and Lightning Helixed him for the game and the match.

People shouted and clapped and were amazed! Granted, they wanted the Planeswalker deck to win, but regardless, I was just happy to win the match.

3-1

I took 4th place and got 4 packs of Shards. I cracked them open and got a Tezzeret Planeswalker card. :)

Things I learned from that night:
1. Phi played Rings of Brighthearth wrong. You can only copy an activated ability once. If you have multiple Rings, then you can do it multiple times. But you can't do it multiple times with the same Rings of Brighthearth. It's okay though, I still won the match.
2. In my second match against Jim, I attacked with a Siege-Gang Commander. He blocked with a 2/1 Kitchen Finks. After combat damage went on the stack, I sacked my Siege-Gang to himself to do 2 damage to his Knight of Meadowgrain. Killing his Kitchen Finks with combat damage and killing his Knight of Meadowgrain with the Siege-Gang's "Shock" ability. I confirmed this with the guy next to me and he said that yes, you can do that. I didn't know that combat damage stacked? In the past I would just either let the Siege-Gang and Finks kill each other, or I would sack the Seige-Gang to kill the Knight of Meadowgrain. Did you guys know that you could do both? Amazing!

2 comments:

sleicnodnad said...

Dlaab Peter didn't know that either. We were playing our group battle and he blocked a Mogg Fanatic and I told Nhia to just sacrifice it and hit him for one. He thought his creature would have lived, but it doesn't. Combat damage stacks! I love Siege-Gang Commander. He's got my back.

www.isiahxiong.com said...

That was some crazy battle, especially with the planeswalker deck.